SEMDS has prepared a series of instructional videos for the dahlia gardener. View this chapter for Instructions on how to store your Dahlia tubers for next year’s garden. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0icqxGVnOlI
Preparing/Storing Tubers over Winter Tip Sheet http://www.semds.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/05/Preparing-and-Storing-Dahlia-Tubers.pdf
- Don’t be in a hurry to plant; dahlias will struggle in cold soil. Ground temperature should reach 60°F. Wait until all danger of spring frost is past before planting. (Try planting them a little after the tomato plants go in.)
- Select a planting site with full sun. Dahlias grow more blooms with 6 to 8 hours of direct sunlight.
- Dahlias thrive in rich, well-drained soil. The pH level of your soil should be 6.5-7.0, slightly acidic.
- Plant your dahlias 2-3 feet apart.
- Plant tuber with the eye facing up, about 6 to 8 inches deep. The crowns should be just below soil level.
- Medium to large flowering dahlias will require support. Place stakes (5-6 feet tall) at planting time and tie stems to them as the plants grow. Most dahlias grown for cut flowers reach 4-6 feet so staking is important.
TUBERS & PLANTS FOR SALE
WHEN: Saturday, May 6, 2017 9:00 am – 12:00 noon WHERE: Telly’s Greenhouse, 3301 John R, Troy, MI 48083 $4 – PLANTS & AA/A TUBERS $3 – ALL OTHER TUBERS
Large selection of premium Dahlias at a great price!