Join the South Eastern Michigan Dahlia Society (SEMDS) at the first monthly meeting of 2018
Date: Saturday, January 20, 2018
Time: 3:00 – 5:00 pm
Location: Bloomfield Township Public Library, 1099 Lone Pine Road, Bloomfield Hills, MI 48302
- The meeting will begin with a DVD introduction to the newest Dahlias accepted by the American Dahlia Society (ADS).
- Dr. Keith Berven will give a presentation that explains how Dahlias are classified and organized in the ADS Classification Guide.
- Introduce the ADS handbook and explain how to use it.
- 2018 Calendar of Events will be available at the meeting. There will be lots of training opportunities in 2018 for the new (and old) grower.
- Don’t be in a hurry to plant; dahlias will struggle in cold soil. Ground temperature should reach 60°F. Wait until all danger of spring frost is past before planting. (Try planting them a little after the tomato plants go in.)
- Select a planting site with full sun. Dahlias grow more blooms with 6 to 8 hours of direct sunlight.
- Dahlias thrive in rich, well-drained soil. The pH level of your soil should be 6.5-7.0, slightly acidic.
- Plant your dahlias 2-3 feet apart.
- Plant tuber with the eye facing up, about 6 to 8 inches deep. The crowns should be just below soil level.
- Medium to large flowering dahlias will require support. Place stakes (5-6 feet tall) at planting time and tie stems to them as the plants grow. Most dahlias grown for cut flowers reach 4-6 feet so staking is important.
TUBERS & PLANTS FOR SALE
WHEN: Saturday, May 6, 2017 9:00 am – 12:00 noon WHERE: Telly’s Greenhouse, 3301 John R, Troy, MI 48083 $4 – PLANTS & AA/A TUBERS $3 – ALL OTHER TUBERS
Large selection of premium Dahlias at a great price!